Friday, January 17, 2014

Common core/uncommon values

        I am a teacher. I have a BS in early childhood ed. an endorsement in mild/moderate disabilities and a Masters in counseling. I teach in an inner city junior high public school.
        By the 1st bell for the first period of the day I heard the "F" word over 5 times among the litany of other curses and sexual comments. I have that "talk" with one-a pretty girl with a lovely smile. She calls home, her parent is unconcerned but tells her not to say that in school.
        If you ask what I teach, I will tell you, I teach children. My schedule reads that I teach social skills and transition classes. I teach children.
        I am writing this as I want folks to have a bit more awareness of what teachers do. The reality is often far from the assumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment