Friday, January 17, 2014

Honest Abe

    I grew up in New England. I went to school in a 1 room school, one teacher, six grades. My parents were patriotic, we said the pledge every morning as well as a prayer. We had a two holer in the basement and a ceramic water jug in the classroom. We brought cups and hankies from home as well as sack lunches. My best friend and I often traded sandwiches. My liverwurst for her jelly. The classroom was silent-we didn't talk out, we never disrespected our teacher, ever. Had we done so, the whole community would have chastised us,not just our parents. We would not shame our folks or ourselves that way.
    Among My Heroes were Abe Lincoln and George Washington. It has remained so.
    An 8th grade girl was walking in the hall as I went to take a break during the final couple of hours of school. She wore a shirt with one of my heroes, Abe Lincoln on it-except something was very wrong. Abe Lincoln was flashing a gang sign. I was saddened. Not only by the incredible disrespect the shirt showed to a great  American president, but also on a personal level, to me. Who makes these shirts anyway-and who the heck sells them? 


No comments:

Post a Comment